About the new Labor Law going into effect Dec. 1st

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

About the new Labor Law going into effect Dec. 1st

I work for a small business and am paid every two weeks a salary. If I have to
work more than 40 hours a week, I am allowed to take compensation time to make up
for that, which I am very happy about. With the new law, my employer wants to
change my wage from salary to hourly, and my comp time will go away.
Does the new law address this? He is pointing to it as a reason to change the
way we are doing things. I make about 38,000 a year if that makes any

Asked on October 19, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The reason it affects you is that the new regulations about overtime, which come into effect at the end of this year, state that salaried employees who earn less than $47,476 per year *must* be paid overtime--it will be the law. That being the case, since at your salary level they'll have to pay overtime, it is easier for them to make you hourly (which will simplify tracking your hours for this purpose) and not give you comp time in addition to the overtime which they will have to pay you anyway.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption