If the university police have called me to come in for questioning at 9 pm, do I need a lawyer and should I go in tonight?

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If the university police have called me to come in for questioning at 9 pm, do I need a lawyer and should I go in tonight?

They will not give me any more information.

Asked on September 8, 2015 under Criminal Law, Utah


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Whenever any officer calls you in for questioning, espcially at 900 p.m., you should wait to go until you have an attorney.  It's an unusual time for a meeting.  You will be tired and more prone to bad suggestions by the officer to confess... assuming they are accusing you of a crime.
It may be something simple that can easily be resolved with an interview.  However, if you go alone and make statements that incriminate yourself, you may accidentally waive your very valuable right to remain silent while making their job of convicting you much easier.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption