What can I do if a tree limb fell on my car while driving on a public road and damaged my car?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if a tree limb fell on my car while driving on a public road and damaged my car?

I don’t know if the tree was on public or private land but I was very close to having a a 10 ft long by 8-10 inch diameter limb fall on my head while driving. Is the property owner liable for this?

Asked on October 2, 2014 under Accident Law, California


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The property owner is only liable if the property owner did something negligent that caused the tree to fall.  If the tree just fell because of, for example, violent wind as part of a storm, that is an "act of God" and the property owner's insurance will not cover that, nor is the property owner liable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption