If a car made an illegal right turn and hit me taking my bumper off, what legal actions can I take to get my car fixed?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a car made an illegal right turn and hit me taking my bumper off, what legal actions can I take to get my car fixed?

He lied stating the insurance company there was a disabled car in my lane making me have to go in his lane but pictures afterward are evident there was not. His insurance company also admitted to me he told them he was in a hurry/rush and didn’t even have to go that way but yet they still declared both us drivers are at fault which is not correct.

Asked on August 30, 2015 under Accident Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If he or his insurer will not voluntarily pay you whether because he is lying about fault or otherwise, your recourse is to sue him for your damages if you sue him and win, he or his insurer will have to pay you. To win, you'd have to prove in court by a "preponderance of the evidence" that is, that it is more likely than not that he was driving negligently or carelessly when he hit you you can use your own testimony to try to prove this--he, of course, can testify to the contrary, and the court wll decide who is more credible or believable. For repair costs or property damage which would be equal to or less than the maximum limit for your state's small claims court, a good option is to sue in small claims, acting as your own attorney "pro se" to save on legal costs.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption