Does interest accrue on small claims/housing court judgements?

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does interest accrue on small claims/housing court judgements?

The money was never recovered despite a letter to the defendant’s attorney and a writ of execution served by the constable. I have not made any efforts to pursue this matter for 6 years because I have been in school working on my graduate degree. I recently found the paperwork and could use the money. What is the next step to recover the money owed?

Asked on August 22, 2011 Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are a judgment creditor owed monies on a judgment, under the laws of all states in this country, interest accrues on the unpaid judgment. Typical rate of accrued interest is 10% per annum.

If you have not had the judgment that you own satisfied, you need to start the levy process again with a new writ of execution being issued and a bank levy or wage garnishment commenced. One of the easiest ways to hopefully start getting paid is to write the judgment debtor and request voluntary monthly installments with a response to your letter by a set date.

If there is no response, then you will need to start the execution process all over. You need to be aware that judgments typically have to be renewed after a certain period of time and if not, they are no longer valid. In California, a judgment must be renewed before the passage of ten years.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption