I Am A Single Parent With A Full-Time Job Outside The Home. I Have Hired A Live In Au Pair/Nanny To Drive The Children To Their Various Activities And Run Errands. Does She Have To Be Added To My Auto Policy? Can She Drive Using Her Own Country’s License?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by Jeffrey Johnson
Insurance Lawyer Jeffrey Johnson

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

If your au pair drives your car on a regular basis, you do need to add her to your policy. It is recommended that she obtain a US license, but if she is only here for the summer or season there is not much point to doing so. When you add her, she is asked for her driving record. If she can provide proof of experience and driving record from her country she can obtain better rates, depending upon her age. If she is only here for a short time, fewer than three months, do not bother to add her to your policy, since the paperwork will take longer than the time she is here. Others may disagree with this, but she is automatically covered, as long as she is legally licensed here or elsewhere. Should something happen, the insurance company may ask for her driving information and you can provide it at that time.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption