Wht to do if I was wrongfully charged $500 in move-out fees?

We recently moved out of an apartment and they are charging us $500 for carpet cleaning.As I left the apartment clean I asked them to show me the pictures which they kept refusing first they said the file is huge they cannot email us, then I went to their office they said we have in email but our policy is we print it and as we don’t have a printer we are not going to give it to you right now. I looked at the pictures and they had 3 pics of the carpet with very tiny stain that was zoomed to max. I do not want to pay these bills. What can be the implications if I refuse to pay these?

Asked on July 19, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Massachusetts


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you refuse to pay then they will probably sue you for the money at which time you will dispute the charge.  They will have to prove to the court that the stains were there are woth the money that they are charging you.  If you had evidence to dispute them that would be a good thing.  Just watch that they do not report the matter to the credit bureaus.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.