Will one state extradite on an domestic charge if I live in another state?

Asked on November 25, 2013 under Criminal Law, Iowa


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I am assuming that you have just chosen a state of origin (Iowa) for this question rather than list you real state of residency at this point in time. Understand that extradition depends on the state in which you have taken "asylum" - residency - for the time being.  But I need to give you an idea of what procedure is somewhere so I will use Iowa. Iowa is part of the Interstate Extradition compact which means in theory that they can extradite you for any crime charged.  In reality, that may not be the case. But states generally do not extradite for lesser offenses and will only extradite for a major crime since the resources needed and the time spent are substantial. But the law can catch up to you on the smallest of matters.  It is likely that there is a warrant out for your arrest so even the smallest stop - like a traffic light - could land you in jail.  Please consider resolving the matter by hiring a lawyer to help. Otherwise you will be spending all your time looking over your shoulder.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.