Will I have a record for accidentally knocking on someone’s door when I was drunk and an attempted burglary report was filed?

I got drunk and accidentally knocked and tried to enter the wrong house which was close to my friend’s house where I was staying. I realized it was not the correct house and left without entering. While leaving I dropped my phone on the lawn. The residents of the house filed a report for “attempted burglary” as they were unsure what was going on. They gave my phone to the police. I tracked the phone online and went the next day to the police. I explained and they believed me. it was an honest mistake. I was not arrested or charged with a crime. They took my info. Will this be on my record?

Asked on July 2, 2012 under Criminal Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You have no "record" until charges are filed by the D.A.'s office. 

The police report itself will always exist, but I wouldn't worry about it.

This is nothing you have to disclose with employers, schools, etc. 

Two expert legal suggestions: (1) prepaid phone without personal information, and (2) drinking wingman.

Best of luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.