Who is responsible for excessive utility costs when an equipment failure occurs?

The external A/C compressor contact switch failed in the “on” position at our rental unit. The unit ran non-stop for several weeks, unknown and/or unreported by the tenant. Once reported, we shut off the unit within a day and had it repaired as soon as we could coordinate an HVAC repairman with the tenant’s schedule (about a week later). Fortunately the repair was inexpensive and the unit does not appear to have suffered long-term damage from the constant running. However, the electric bill, which is paid by the tenant, is large. Who is responsible for the excessive electricity used?

Asked on November 7, 2011 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

As a general matter, whoever is responsible for the maintenance and repair of the equipment would be responsible: the additional costs were caused by a maintenance or repair problem (and so were preventable by the party which is responsible  for repair and maintenance), and not by the tenant's use of the A/C. The exception would be IF the tenant knew of the problem--not just that the unit was running non-stop, but that it was not supposed to run non-stop (i.e. that something was wrong)--and, knowing of the problem, failed to report it to the landlord: in that case, the landlord may be able to hold the tenant liable for the costs the tenant's failure to provide notice caused.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.