Who inherits real estate when there is no Will?

My grandparents owned the property that my parents lived on. My grandparents had other children but had no Will. My parents are now deceased. Who will gain

the property? I have 2 brothers and 1 sister; my parents deceased siblings have


Asked on September 5, 2016 under Estate Planning, Arkansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

When there is no will, the property passes according to the rules of "intestate succession" (who gets what, when there is no will). In your state (every state has its own rules, though they tend to be very similar), when all the children of the deceased predeceased (passed away before) him or her, but there are living grandchildren, all the grandchildren inherit what would have been their parent's share. So say there were three children, A, B, and C, who all passed away before your grandparents. Each would have had a 1/3 share. If A had 1 child, B had 2, and C had 3 (6 grandchildren total), A's child gets his/her entire 1/3 share; B's children split his/her 1/3 (so they get 1/6 each), and C's children also split his/her share (1/9 each).
That your parents lived in the house has no bearing on who gets it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.