When unemployment is contested what are typical reasons to rule in favor of claimant?

When the error was brought to my attention I had to personally find my supervisor and ask how it will be handled and per my asking was informed there was nothing I can do to resolve issue, just wait. It took 7 days of my asking for an update to issue and being informed nothing known and nothing I can do to each time until for the company to decide to let me go. During this week I continued performing my same position with same duties. In these circumstances is it likely I can continue to receive benefits while looking for new job?

Asked on July 18, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Iowa


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

When someone is laid off or terminated from work, they are entitled to receive unemployment (assuming they otherwise are eligible; e.g. have worked sufficient hours) as long as they were not fired "for cause." Someone is fired for cause when they do something like the following: are insubordinate; refuse a supervisor's or manager's instructions; violate company policy; commit a criminal act at work; excessive absenteeism; etc. So if you are let go and its not for cause, you should be able to receive unemployment; but if you give your employer cause to terminate you, such as by being insubordinate, then you may render yourself ineligible.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.