What’s the best option to become legal in the US?

I’ve been 6 years in the USA; I”m 20 year ols Hispanic woman.

Asked on October 23, 2011 under Immigration Law, South Carolina


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You should check with immigration counsel but six years illegally doesn't automatically allow you to become legal. You actually may need to return to your home country to apply for a Green Card or see if you qualify for any form of exemptions while you still have been in the U.S. You need to tread carefully because otherwise you could be setting yourself up for deportation. Talk to counsel and understand if you wish to become a U.S. citizen, you need to let counsel know this is your goal. Otherwise, a Green Card may be the best route.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.