What legal rights do I have?

I am a 4th year apprentice who has finished his qualifications and has a fixed term contract for about another 3 months. I was to get a full-time permanent contract, however the company announced the closure of the plant recently. I have asked for information on what will happen with me but been told we won’t know until after the 45 day consultation period. This takes me awfully close to the end of my contract and I afterwfully concerned I will be left without a job.

Asked on April 12, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If the plant is closing, you will lose your job: there is no legal right to maintain a job after the worksite or plant closes, unless you have a written contract (including union or collective bargaining agreement) guarantying you, in that event, a job at another location (and, of course, the employer has another location at which to employ you). 
Under the WARN Act, if the employer has 100 or more employees total, and at least 50 employees are losing their jobs at this plant or location, then they would have to give you at least 60 days notice of the closing and loss of job.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.