What kind of attorney would handle a foreclosure action?

My Uncle and his ex-wife divorced in 2008. Upon dissolution of their divorce, he
was to leave the home and turn over any/all rights to the property. His ex-wife
then had 90 days upon his leaving to sell the home or it would be foreclosed
upon. In 2015, his ex-wife apparently took out a mortgage on the home for
200,000, in his name without his signature, knowledge, or consent. My Uncle has
now been served with a foreclosure action and is named a party. Unfortunately he
did not follow my advice and obtain an attorney right away when the court sent
notice to his new home about this. I am now trying to help him obtain an attorney
but am unsure of who would handle this. My Uncle’s involvement should have ended
when the divorce decree was entered but this mostly has to do with real

Asked on March 8, 2019 under Real Estate Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

There are attorneys who specialize in, or at least partly specialize in (it's one of their main practice areas), defending people from foreclosure actions; such a lawyer would be the best choice, because even though your uncle is not necessarily trying to save the property from foreclosure, foreclosure law is involved as are court rules and proceedings--thus, a lawyer who defends foreclosures in court would be able to help him. Your uncle may be able to get a referral to such lawyer from the state bar association; a "Google" search would also turn up such attorneys.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.