What can my daughter do to collect a $8,000 debt?

She’s letting a friend use a car that she is buying for her daughter. He promised to pay the car payment. She has also lent him $8,000. He makes a payment when he wants to, never on schedule and often skips months. How can she recoup some of her losses?

Asked on June 3, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Oklahoma


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

More information is needed here,  Let me clarify what I understand now.  First, did your daughter enter in to a written agreement for the purchase of the car?  Did she sign over the title?  If she did enter in to an agreement then she can sue on the agreement.  An oral contract is still a written contract but harder to prove.  If she did not turn over the title then she needs to take the car back unless and until there is a written agreement.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.