What can I do if my supervisor called me a monkey so I went to report at HR but they did nothing about it?

I have witnesses.

Asked on August 31, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

IF your supervisor called you a monkey due to your race or sex, or disability, or age over 40, or religion, though those are less likely reasons--the slur "monkey" is more often a racial slur than one based on those other characteristics, then this may be illegal workplace discrimination and you may have a legal case. If this were the case, then you should contact the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission EEOC or your state equal/civil rights agency to inquire into filing a complaint.
However, if your supervisor called you a monkey simply because he or she doesn't like you, or is generally a mean, abusive, bullying person, then there is nothing legally to be done just as one adult can generally be mean or insulting to another, a supervisor can be mean or insulting so long as it is not harassment aimed at you specifically because of a protected characteristic like your race and that is perfectly legal just like it is legal for a supervisor to not like certain employees. Morevover, your company does not have to do anything about it the company e.g. HR, or upper management can let the supervisor insult, etc. you if they want.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.