What can I do if my ex husband is not paying the joint credit card that the dissolution of marriage says that he will pay?

My ex and I have 1 credit card that is joint. In the divorce he agreed to pay it (it is in the paperwork). He has not been paying the minimum and it is past due. This has greatly effected my credit score making it almost impossible to for me to get any lines of credit or even think of buying a house. Is there anything I can do to make him pay?

Asked on October 19, 2011 under Family Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

This type of question  - as well as the issue of refinancing a mortgage after divorce - is one of the most asked in this forum.  Although everything seems "nice, nice" when put down on paper, the reality of what your ex can still do to you financially can be overwhelming. First you need to know that the agreement between you is a contract and your rights to enforce the contract are as per your state law.  Additionally, I am sure that the agreement was incorporated in to the divorce decree.  So not only can you sue to enforce the agreement you can bring a motion for contempt.  You have the court behind you.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.