What can I do about poor air conditioning/energy saving in my apartment?

I have my air conditioner set at 79 degrees. It has been running all day and the temperature is rising. It is currently 83 degrees. I live on the top floor of a three story building, and I think it may have something to do with poor insulation in the attic, but I am not sure. In the winter, I had asked someone in the building next to mine (same landlord and building layout) about their electric bill, and it was half the amount as my bill. I feel that I am wasting money on the electric, and I am paying for the electric even though it is not a comfortable temperature in my unit. What can I do?

Asked on July 4, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Many utility companies provide inspections of a living unit by one of their representatives to assist the occupant in energy savings. For example, Pacific, Gas & Electric Company in California provides such a service for its customers.

I sugegst that you contact your utility provider and inquire if one of its representatives can come to your rental for an energy saving analysis. Once this happens, give the report to your landlord.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.