What can I do about not getting paid on time and having to wait months to get paid from a funding source?

I work for a not-for-profit agency and they’ve recently been struggling in keeping workers because of slow pay. They tell you in the beginning that pay is slow or is once a month but there are different pay groups in the company that receive pay on time or in a manner that’s not months in between. I want to better the program or at least make the city better aware that there are people who work months at a time without being paid, and all we can do is wait until it gets to us. Bills and life doesn’t wait until a person gets paid.

Asked on August 13, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can contact your state department of labor. Paying employees too slowly or infrequently violates state labor laws in most states. Bear in mind that if the agency truly is struggling, however, there may be little you can do--after all, they cannot pay money they do not have. If the agency is having significant financial difficulty, the best thing to do may be to seek alternative employment, since legal rights are trumped by facts--like a lack of money--almost every time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.