We did a large plumbing construction job which we are not getting paid for

We are owed approximately 83,000.00 from a plumbing job finished in April 2107.
We are having difficulty getting paid. We need to know if we can sue the general
contractor or the Shaw’s/Star Market that has not paid us. Are there lawyers out
there who will work on a contingency basis?

Asked on August 30, 2017 under Business Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You sue whomever contracted with you: if you were hired by the GC (your contract was with him), you sue him; he's the one who failed to pay you. If you contracted directly with the homeowner, you sue the homeowner for nonpayment. The one who would be liable is the one who agreed to pay you--but then did not.
There are attorneys who will take this case on contingency, but they tend to be smaller firms and solo practioners--for a big firm, it's not actually that much, given the way they bill. If you have any attorneys you have used for any purposes whom you trust (e.g. drawing up a will, a real estate closing, etc.) if they are smaller attorneys and have a general practice, they may take it; otherwise, they may be a good source of referrals. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.