What is my recourse if I was fired 3 months ago and my ex-employer yet I’m still listed on the company website as the person in my former position?

I feel they are using my name to say they can still provide the services that only I can provide. Should I expect compensation? My ex-employer is contesting my unemployment.

Asked on May 19, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

IF they have provably (which can, however, be difficult to prove) gotten any business or made any money due to your name being listed on the website, you may be able to sue them for a share of that--but again, you'd need to be able to prove that someone hired them, bought from them, contracted with them, etc. because of your name.
Or if you being on the website causes you a loss--e.g. it results in you not getting unemployment, because it appears you are still employed--you could sue for the money you lose. 
You must be able to show some concrete profit by them or loss to you from them using your name, or you will not get compensation for this misappropriation of your name. You can, of course, threaten to sue (you can sue for a court order, for example, requiring them to remove your name, even if you can't prove that you should get compensation) to force them to remove your name.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.