unemployment related

Can a professional in private practice who had a full-time job in addition to
private practice, get unemployment insurance? Or would they have to deduct the
income from their private practice even though they legitimately have money owed
to them from the full-time job employer? Two completely unrelated sources of
income. Private practice preceded getting the full-time job and was maintained
throughout that employment.


Asked on March 28, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Being owed money has nothing to do with eligibility for unemployment benefits: eligibility depends on whether and to what extent you are currently working, not on whether or not your employer failed to pay you in the past. (If the employer failed to pay, by the way, the way to get your money is to sue them for it.) All current income, from any employment (e.g. self employed   in private practice as well) will be considered in determining eligibility for unemployment benefits.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.