I live in Virginia and used to work in DC. I’ve been receiving unemployment from DC but the 26 weeks will be ending soon and I still don’t have a full-time job. As far as I know, DC does not currently have extended benefits. Would I qualify in VA or would there be any other action I could take?

Asked on February 1, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

The filing of an unemployment claim is not based on your state of residence; it is based on the state in which you were employed. Accordingly, you would file for benefits in DC, since that was where you worked. 

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

No, unemployment is based on where you worked before becoming unemployed, not where you live; your residence is irrelevant. So if you worked in D.C., that is the only place that you can get unemployment benefits from. You are correct: at present, D.C. does not have extended benefits--it is 26 weeks maximum.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.