What to do if I traded in car 7 months ago and am now receiving threatening letters from a marshal regarding tickets received after the sale date?

I traded in my car and when I arrived home from vacation yesterday, I had received a letter from a marshall. The letter claims that a person with another name has accumulated a number of parking tickets on my old car; they have the VIN. The plate number that is listed is from another state and is not mine. Apparently, 4 tickets were issued and more than $700 is owed. They are threatening to tow my current car.

Asked on July 22, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I would call the marshall and explain that you no longer had ownership of the vehicle that has the tickets assessed as to it in that it was sold to a third person before the ticket issue arose. Follow up with a letter memorializing the conversation.

Also, go down to the nearest department of motor vehicles and have the registered title of the car you sold placed out of your name and into the name of the buyer. Had you done this, you would not be contacted by the marshall about the ticket issue.

Your current car that does not have the tickets on it cannot be legally towed for unpaid tickets on the other vehicle that you sold.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.