What to do about a timeshare abandonment?

I have a timeshare that is purchased with 2 friends more than 15 years ago. They abandoned the share and only paid for a year. I am unable to locate them in order for them to sign it over to me or pay me what is owed. How can I go about removing their names?

Asked on July 25, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can not remove their names with out their consent or court order.  You need to take the documentation to an attorney to review and see if it is possible for you to file an action for partition which requests that the court split the property equally or order it sold.  I know you do not want it sold but you could ask for set off for the fees for the last 14 years and see if they will grant a judgement which would allow you then to attach their portion of the property and then "foreclose."  Either may get you what you want. Good luck.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.