How much time do I have to remove my belongings?

This guy and I live and work together in a warehouse. He punched me in the face and went to jail. He is now out but there is a restraining order on him. The owner asked me to pack some clothes and leave due to I was a helper and he is the main guy there. It is going to take me at least 2 days to pack all my belongings plus, I have to relocate my 2 horses without having a job now. I wasn’t served with papers to vacate. He can’t take off from work for two days while I pack and move. I can’t go there due to restraining order. I don’t want to lose my things.

Asked on November 20, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

This sounds backwards to me. The landlord cannot evict you and it sounds like an unlawful eviction if you were the victim and the other was the aggressor. You should contact an attorney or even legal aid or local HUD counseling and see if something can be done to ensure that this other person leaves, the restraining order is updated to keep him away and that you are able to stay where you are. There may be labor law violations, as well, for allowing this person to keep employment at the same location where you work. Talk to a legal authority before you do anything. In the interim, try to stay somewhere safe while this is sorted out.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.