What is involved in getting a new attorney ona case?

Want to take my ex-wife to court in Greene County, OH for contempt. She didn’t pay bills that she racked up in my name that she agreed to pay in the divorce. She recently filed for bankrupcy. My attorney didn’t file the stay needed for that so court today was cancelled. He says if I stay with him he will pay the court costs and try to get a sooner court date next time. Should I get a new attorney, and if I do, would it take longer and cost more?

Asked on July 28, 2010 under Family Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Generally, speaking, switching attorneys will take longer and cost more. After all, the new attorney has to get up to speed on the matter, which will take him or her some time, for which he or she will undoubtedly bill for.

Whether you should stay with this attorney depends on whether you think this attorney is competent and trustworthy or not. The attorney's failure was a fairly significant one, but even the best do sometimes make significant mistakes. The issue is whether you still trust, on a personal or professional level, this person. Only you can answer that; there is no right or wrong answer. The fact the attorney is offering to step up and take responsibility is a good sign, but you still need to evaluate it in context of all your dealings, experience with, etc. this lawyer. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.