Should I authorize release of my car damage pictures to the other party so they are satisfied and can move on or does that leave me vulnerable in some respect?

I was recently in a car accident where I was pulling forward as someone was moving backwards at a slow rate of speed, neither of us going faster than 3-5 mph. After evaluation of the damages, both of our insurance companies decided this was a no-fault accident. The father of the individual who was involved is refusing to accept this claim as his daughter claimed more damage to her car from the accident. However, the insurance companies found that her damage could not have been caused by our collision. He now wants pictures of my

car because he can’t come to grips that his daughter may be withholding the entire truth. My insurance company said that it is my decision but that he said he wanted piece of mind. There is only a slight scratch on my car, which would prove that her extensive damage that she is claiming is not from our accident, however from another accident that she had at another time.

Asked on April 26, 2016 under Accident Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

There is likely no harm from releasing the pictures, since if this matter cannot be settled and litigation ensues (regardless of who sues whom), the pictures will come to light in that context--i.e., if you *need* to use them for any reason, they'll come out, so may as well share them now if it will help resolve the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.