What to do ifI have school loans butget can’t licensing in my profession because my college is no longer accredited?

I graduated from a college in WA. When I finished the school was counted as an accredited school. I took my licensing test 3 months ago and passed but my license is still pending. The health department isn’t counting the college as an accredited school anymore so therefore I’m currently paying for the schooling with no job. I had a job lined up with clients but now I can’t even work because of it. is there anything that can be done? Can I do something about not paying them back for work missed until this is fixed?

Asked on August 30, 2011 Washington


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you attended when it was accredited and graduated when it was as well, you have been dealing with the wrong person at the health department who clearly does not understand constitutional law. Contact the state's department of education and speak with or meet with someone high up the chain. Explain what occurred and have him or her help you get the licensed approved and move on. If this does not help, appeal to your state and federal congressmen and senators. Bottom line, in typical contract law and constitutional law, you cannot be punished for something that did not occur until after you graduated. You relied on your graduation and the school's accreditation to take your exam, which you passed. Political pressure in this situation and economy should help you get your license.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.