What is the effect of a restraining order on employment?

I am currently going through a divorce. When moving my property out of my house, my husband got angry and abusive. He was arrested for domestic violence, because he struck me by throwing my possessions at me. He has many firearms in his possession and one of them was concealed under his bed. I feel there may be a risk to my children and me. I am considering placing a restraining order against him for my protection but am concerned that it will affect his state insurance sales license. He is currently asking for spousal support and I am concerned that if he loses his license, I will be paying him to help him as he re-establishes employment in another field.

Asked on July 21, 2012 under Family Law, Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney with respect to the scope of any possible retraining order that you may obtain against your husband for donmestic issues. Typically, a restraining order for a domestic matter does not run into the work place and are quasi criminal matters that can pop up on one's background check.

The ultimate issu that you should be concerned about is the safety of your children and then you not about the possible financial fall out if you are forced to ask for such a protective order and receive one from the court system.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.