If I own a camp on leased land with my brother and sister and mow my sister wants out, can we do it with just a bill of sale?

It was willed to us several years ago by our mother.

Asked on June 6, 2017 under Business Law, New Hampshire


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, if she is an owner of a business (e.g. the camp) and not of land, then she can transfer her interest to you and your brother by a bill of sale or contract. Be aware that if you get it for less than fair market value, there may be tax consequences, since to the degree you get her share for less than market value, it is a windfall to you and/or your brother; speak with a tax preparer to see what the effect may be.
If she is on the deed of the underlying land, she'd need to do a quitclaim deed transfering her interest in the land to you.
If she is on a lease for the land, if the lease states there are no assignments without the landlord's permission, she'd need the landlord's consent to be removed from the lease; if there is no restriction on assignment in the lease, she can simply assign her rights and obligations under the contrat to you and your brother.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.