If my wife and I got into an argument and things got out of hand so our son called the police and I was charged with disorderly conduct, should I get an attorney?

I was booked and made bail the same night. This is the first time this has happened and won’t happen again; we are in couple’s counseling and individual also. Can I plead not guilty at my court date? Do I need an attorney with me at my court date?

Asked on July 1, 2014 under Criminal Law, Wisconsin


Maury Beaulier / MinnesotaLawyers.com

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It is always wise to retin counel.  If you have no proir charges that are similar, you may be able to avoid a conviction with some type of Stay of Prosecution. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.