What to do if my unit contains mold in the air ducts?

A pipe burst and they only shampooed my carpet once. They covered the hole in the wall from the pipe with cardboard, and did not repair until over a month later. They issued a written doc with false accusations as retaliation. They entered my unit after I provided a letter asking to not enter unless I am present. My unit is infested with roaches. I have doctor letter stating I am allergic to mold. I suffer from PTSD and the roaches worsen my disease. The stress from my complex has interrupted my studies as well. Can I sue?

Asked on January 21, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Based upon what you have written about I would ask that the local health department come to your unit and insepct it for health violations if the landlord refuses to clean up the unit by a demand date in a letter to him or her by you. If the health department cites the landlord for health violations you have a basis legally for a lawsuit. The issue is proving your damages.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.