What to do if my 14 year old has started driver’s training and I asked him to move a car from the driveway out into the street but he had an accident?

I needed him do if so I could get our other car out. However, when he backed out he hit the neighbor’s car that was at the end of the driveway (my driveway is directly across the street). He freaked and got the accelerator and break mixed up so he went back into our driveway hitting another one of our cars. They have PLPD so we didn’t want to make a claim. I got a ticket and today and went to court. My plea was guilty since it was my fault for letting him move the car. I have to go back for sentencing but now I don’t know if I should of got a lawyer or not. I have never been through anything like this

Asked on July 14, 2014 under Accident Law, Michigan


Maury Beaulier / MinnesotaLawyers.com

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Drivers training is not the same as having a driver's license.  As a result he was an unlicensed driver.  Nonetheless, you can usually avoid a ticket if you have a clean record with some type of Stay of Prosecutcion.  You should have retained counsel instead of entering a guiltry plea. Even now, you may be able to withdraw that pela with counsel. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.