What to do if my recent ex owes me money and wants to move out of state without paying?

My ex and I just broke up; we were together for 2 1/2 years. Throughout that time I’ve loaned her over $7000 for rent bills and the normal fees of living. There are 2 problems I have no paperwork of what she owes. She agrees she owes me money but says its about $1000 less. The other problem is that she says that’s she’s going to move out of state next week without paying me back. What can/should I do?

Asked on October 31, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you are concerned that your

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.