What can a tenant do to prevent their landlord from renting to competing business?

My parents own and run a small business convenience/liquor store on gas station property. The landlord who owns the gas station and the property, also owns another property across the street. The laundromat that occupied the 2nd property recently closed down and the landlord is in talks with 7-Eleven to occupy the space. Due to the same nature of the business, this puts my parents business at risk and the landlord is putting my parents in a situation where they will be in direct competition with each other. My parents are projecting that there will be a substantial decrease in sales due to a brand named convenience store. Is there anything my parents can legally do to prevent this?

Asked on September 17, 2015 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, there is  nothing they can legally do to prevent this, unless the lease or some other contract with the landlord specifies that he will not move in the competition. Otherwise, a landlord is free to rent to whomever he/she likes, even if it competes with an existing tenant the landlord has no responsibility, other than providing the rental premises, to his/her tenants.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.