If my neighbor just put up a 6 foot vinyl fence blocking my entire view of the golf course, is there any way tjat I can have it removed?

Asked on October 18, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You probably do not have any recourse unless:

1) You had some sort of an easement for view or access, which you could enforce;

2) You had a contract or agreement with this owner specifically that he/she would not do this;

3) The fence violates some local ordinance about fence height or type, and the neighbor did not receive a variance for it; or

4) The building/permitting process in your municipality required that you be given some notice and chance to object to this fence, which you did not receive.

Apart from the above, people *may* build within their property, including fences, even if it damages their neighbors view. You could meet with a real estate attorney and discuss whether you might have a cause of action for nuisance, but that is highly unlikely: "nuisance" is usually reserved for things which are intrinsically undesirable or out of place, like a cement plant or slaughter house or auto salvage yard in a residential area.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.