How can I get an accounting regarding a Trust that I was a benenficiary of?

My mother pasted away 5 years ago. My brother claims that he was the trustee. He gave me $500 a month until it ran out. He would never tell me how much I had and he still won’t. So how do I know that was all there was? I was not there for any reading; he never showed or gave me any legal document. I figured I received about $25,000. So what happened with the interest? What can I do? How can I find out the truth? Do I even have a case?

Asked on February 5, 2013 under Estate Planning, California


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You will need to file a petition for an accounting of the trust assets and disbursdements and to whom, benefiaries, creditors and whether trustee took an afees for services rendere the trust. Obtain yourself probate litigation counsel to assist you.Don't delay as their may be a time limit as to when a petition for an accounting can be filed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.