What to do if my mother died 2 weeks ago and my brother is the executor of the estate but so far he has made no attempt to discuss the estate with me?

I am convinced he will not take legal action such as put the estate in probate or advise me of any details of what the estate consists of in monetary terms. I am positive he intends to keep all of the inheritance for himself. We are the only 2 living descendants. What can I do to make sure I am included in the inheritance?

Asked on September 12, 2015 under Estate Planning, Wisconsin


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Sorry to hear about your mother.
If your mother's Will includes provisions for removal of the executor and appointment of a designated successor as executor, those provisions should be followed to remove your brother as executor.
If the Will is silent as to removal and/or designating a successor as executor, file a petition with the Probate court to have your brother removed and a successor appointed as executor.
A lawsuit can be filed in Probate court against your brother on behalf of your mother's estate, to obtain a constructive trust which will require your brother to return the proceeds from the $25,000 CD to the estate.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.