If my husband will not give me the keys to the car and we are separating and filing for a divorce., do I have any legal rights?

The car is only in my name and I make the payments. Do I have any legal rights?

Asked on March 4, 2012 under Family Law, California


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It depends. If it is your separate property, you have very right to get it back. If it is community property, your husband cannot prevent you from accessing it. You have to go to court to file a motion to get it back.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.