My husband rolled his vehicle on private property and was injured serioulsy no med pay on auto insurance? Will the property owners homeowners cover?

Asked on July 4, 2009 under Personal Injury, Indiana


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unless the accident was due to some unusually hazardous condition of the private property, I very much doubt that this will be covered by the property owner's insurance.  You haven't said anything, in terms of facts, that would suggest that the property owner could be liable here.

An owner of land, in most states, owes a duty to people invited onto the land, to keep it reasonably safe and to warn of known dangers.  But rolling a car is almost always the result of driving too fast and leaving the road.

If there are some other facts that would indicate some sort of carelessness by the owner, or defect in the property, I doubt you're going anywhere with this.  If there are other facts, you should talk to a lawyer in your area.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.