If y husband passed and there is no Will but only a bank account with his son is listed as beneficiary, do I have any rights to the money?

Asked on February 26, 2012 under Estate Planning, Alabama


Steven Fromm / Steven J Fromm & Associates, P.C.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under most states you have a statutory forced share to claim against his estate.  This amount is usually 1/3 of his estate.  The assets that are subject to this right are called his augmented estate.  The real question here is whether this account is part of his augmented estate.  If it is you would be entitled to 1/3 of it.  You need to meet with an estates lawyer to go over all the facts and details here to get a definitive answer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.