If my husband just informed me that he is transgender and that he wants to transition and get divorced, what are my rights?

I am a stay-at-home mom and have 2 children (preschool and in kindergarten).

Asked on May 21, 2012 under Family Law, Missouri


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situaiton for all of you.  If you are legally married then you are entitled to what ever is permitted under the laws in your state. Missour is an equitable distribution state so if you can not agree on how to divode the assets they will be divided by the court using various factors such as your economic situation, etc.  Missouri allows alimony or spousal support and child support is statutory.  A lot depends on the specific facts of your marriage and financial situation.  Please seek legal help and emotional support.  Good luck. 


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.