What to do about a foreclosure and bankruptcy?

My husband and I declared bankruptcy, which was completed 12 or 13 years ago. The home we had at the time was financed with a bank, and we included it in the bankruptcy. I think there was a mixup somewhere. Well over a year after we moved out of the home, we received a foreclosure notice from the bank. Our attorney was supposed to notify all of our creditors for us, and I thought they could not say they foreclosed if we gave it up in bankruptcy. I called the bank when I got the notice but I fear the foreclosure is on a record somewhere. Can they do that? How can I find out if it is listed as foreclosed and get it fixed if it is?

Asked on September 10, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking, what happened in your case is exactly what happens in a foreclosure.  If you do not reaffirm your house in the bankruptcy by signing those docuemtns with the lender then the lender will petition the court to foreclose. What foreclosure protects you from is the lender coming after you for the deficiency if the house is under water.  Run your credit report.  Tehn get help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.