What to do if my husband and I believe that our mortgage company is trying to force us into foreclosure?

We purchased the property 13 years ago and kept payments current. Then 2 years ago our bank was seized by FDIC and our ortgage was sold. We made our payments on time. The balloon payment came up but they wouldn’t refinance. At the time our credit was not good. We kept sending our payments to Roundpoint. They said they would refinance under hardship case. I sent them the required info, twice they never answered calls or returned messages. They sent man to house who asked did we live in it and was there any other houses – yes and no. Then they quit taking payments. I mailed it in, I can email rest .

Asked on July 19, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The problem that you and your husband have is that you had a short term loan that came due and were unable to refinance the loan or extend it despite the fact that you were always current on it.

Given the situation that you are in, I suggest that you consult with a real estate attorney about the best way to proceed with the problem with your lender. I also suggest that you consult with a mortgage broker to see what type of loan you can obtain to refinance the one that has come due.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.