If my girlfriend is from Peru, can we marry the next time she visits with her travel visa and can she stay once we get married?

We have known each other for a year and she has visited me once on a travel visa. I am visiting her this Christmas and she wants to move to the US and get married to me in early next. Can I marry her the next time she comes over and keep her in the US? I heard the fiance visa is a long process with no guarantees.

Asked on July 19, 2012 under Immigration Law, New York


Harun Kazmi / Kazmi and Sakata Attorneys at Law

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor


Yes, you can process in the US, if you come with the intent of a tourist. If you enter with preconceived intent to file for your green card, you may be refused entry or ultimately denied based on your fraudulent entry. Therefore, you must handle your process carefully and within the bounds of discretion.

However, is she comes as a normal tourist, you can file for her case here after you propose after her entry.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.