What to do about a hit and run on private proeprty?

My fiance was pulling into a parking spot and the truck that was parked in the spot to the passenger side opened his door. The door smashed into the end of the fender and put a crease in the door jam of her vehicle, making it difficult the open the door. The other driver asked if everyone was OK, she said yes and he closed his door and went in a business. The other driver did not offer or give insurance information when asked, and left the area. She has the license plate number but was told by the police department that nothing could be done as it is private property. What can we do to get our vehicle repaired due to this person’s negligence and lack of awareness?

Asked on July 29, 2014 under Accident Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can sue him--that's what how you seek compensation if the other party does not voluntarily compensate you. If you can prove that the other driver was at fault, you can recover from him any costs or damages you suffered. For amounts less than the maximum for small claims court, you are probably best off suing in small claims court, with your fiance acting as her own lawyer. With the license plate number, it should be possible to locate and identify the other driver.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.