If my fiance is Canadian and living in Canada and I’m a US citizen living in the US, do we need a fiance visa if we marry in the states but don’t plan to live in the states?

Asked on November 12, 2015 under Immigration Law, Florida


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, if you do not plan to petition for your Canadian fiance's green card after the marriage, you do not need to get a fiance visa petition approved in order to get married in the US.  Just keep in mind that if you do decide to relocate to the US at some point, you will need to go through the spouse petition in order for your spouse to be able to enter the US as an immigrant.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.