My father willed me house/property 20 years ago, do I do a California property affidavit or go probate. Thank you.

Small property affidavit for California

Asked on January 23, 2018 under Real Estate Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

I am confused a bit by your question.  Did your Father just pass and the Will from 20 years ago and still valid (none have been made after that say different)?  Or did he pass 20 years ago and the Will that left you the property was never probated?  The Will must be probated to pass legal title.  If he passed title before he died and the property is the only thing in the Will then likely not.  But I would take the documents you have to an attorney to review.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.